Sunday, July 26, 2015

Self/ish

PSA to everyone asking for requests:

Nowadays I get about 15 requests per week. You see how many requests I actually get done a week. As of now I have 472 requests backlogged, some from years ago (this current one is from last year). I don't have the time to do all of them, so you all should know that when you make a request it's less like putting in an order and more like putting in for a lottery. 

I know the easy answer is to just do more captioning, but in a virtually thankless thing like making captions it would kind of be a waste of my time. Sorry, but I just don't want to spend most of my time doing captions... I have things I do other than this -- just like you. Think about it like you were me.

Not many captioners ask for requests, so I know why I get so many. To try and get them done more frequently I started dedicating the weekend to requests. A good amount of people have said they want me to do less requests and more originals, so keep in mind how self-indulgent requesting captions is when you push for your idea. If you guys have something constructive in terms of advice to give me to get more done, then tell me. But realize that I can't give anyone special treatment with potentially hundreds more requesters wanting the same thing.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3
"In 2043, a 63 year old Kim Kardashian announces that she will reprise her 2014 photoshoot for Paper Magazine to commemorate its 30th anniversary. 
The news is received with cruel mockery and a deeply offended Kim retires from the public eye. 
But the anniversary arrives and Kim poses… looking exactly the same as she did 30 years ago. 
Is this a hoax? Did she kept unpublished photos from that session to release them now? Finally, the answer is revealed. 
Kim has become the first human being whose mind has been uploaded into a younger cloned body. 
The photoshoot and her apparent retirement were all part of a publicity stunt planned by the corporation behind this new medical procedure. 
Now the rich and the powerful of the world will be able purchase a second youth like she did."
---Anonymous

The pictures for Parts 1 and 3 were also requested.

19 comments:

  1. When will you do my request? I know it sounds like I've been bugging you... But it's been almost a month...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude shut the fuck up. Did you not read the post that said there are hundreds of requests, some years old?

      Delete
  2. Chilling! Great story. I can just see rich people doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do the caps that you want to do, don't let requests bog you down. Thanks for all the hard work

    ReplyDelete
  4. The answer is simple: just don't do all the requests. Having followed your blog for a while, I've seen that you get a lot of requests that are offensive, or come from rude people, or are poorly phrased, or are just generally bad or unoriginal ideas. It's the reality of crowdsourcing ideas: only a fraction of them are actually good.

    Don't worry so much about the quantity of requests you can fulfill. Just pick the ones you actually want to do and forget the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your caps are great. Might not comment all the time, but I caption a lot too. Sorry for not giving you as much feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, for request weekend, just do the ones you enjoy and want to make a reality. I think that most of your followers can agree that you don't have to do all the requests, especially the ones that aren't original or poorly done. I hope you continue to do request weekend though, I really enjoy it. But, don't worry so much on how much you complete. I think your caps are great :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What everybody above said! (Except Jett who is clearly just being rude.)

    You won't have fun capping if you're trying to do all of them. Pick and choose what you like, that's what I do!! :-D Haha. Much less stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your caps are fantastic. I say you do the caps YOU feel like doing. If you want to do requests, do them. If you want to do originals, that's fine too. Don't allow the vocal, rude minority to discourage you from captioning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone! Sorry to put the PSA out there (for the record, I edited my post after Jett commented. I'm sure he wouldn't have said that after seeing the PSA)

    It's always nice to hear support from you guys and I really really appreciate it. Sometimes I can get a little sensitive about things since this stuff does take a lot of time that I have to really use wisely nowadays. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well said, tehs. Keep up the good work.
    Sanokal

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, I completely understand you. Take all the time you need. In any case, take that big number of requests as a compliment. The fact that we request so much is an indicator that we love your work.

    In any case, how do you feel about repeating a request from time to time, politely and without any pressure? Maybe it didn't catch you attention the first time, but when you see it again, it does.

    In any case, love everything you do here, and you seem like a really pleasant person. Enjoy life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks a lot - that means a lot to me!
      And repeats are definitely fine.

      Delete
  12. Wow! Thanks a lot for doing my request, tehswitcher! I love it!

    Also, I really like how you adapted my request to reference the film Self/less I think it is a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I had a lot of fun making it -- super happy you enjoyed it buddy. (and thanks about the title; it's a silly little thing, but I figured it was pretty relevant)

      Delete
  13. I come here every day in anticipation that my request might have made the cut. But I feel no disappointment or entitlement, it's your blog, you get to do whatever you want to do.

    For the record- would love a couple turned into their opposite gender equivalents, not each other. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello tehswitcher! I think I have a suggestion, but not for you, but for all the people who request captions with specific pictures.

    I think they should uploads the images they want to hosting sites like imgur rather than hotlinking the original URLs. This way the pictures could be still available even if their original source of has gone down.

    I hope I have been of help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! I've actually run into a lot of requests where I don't have access to the pics anymore...

      Delete
    2. I'm really glad you liked my suggestion! Maybe you could add it to the list of quick tips?

      I know from experience! This happened to the images of a request I submitted... T_T

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...